Daily Archives: January 29, 2014

Get a Police Report

In many criminal or family law cases, such as a custody or divorce action, drunk driving (DUI), or personal protection order (PPO), it’s necessary to obtain a copy of an incident or police report involving you, another party or witness.  In fact, it’s often one of the very first things you will want.  To do so, determine the county in which the incident occurred (i.e. Grand Traverse, Leelanau, etc.), and whether it was the sheriff or police department who handled the investigation.  You will need to fill out and submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the relevant sheriff or police department. Below are links to a few agencies, or contact our office.  We’d be happy to help!